More and more it seems to me that motivating kids is the key to success in terms of getting them interested in wanting to learn, as well as getting them to actually learn the information and retaining it. Ultimately, it is about applying what they have learned. For me, in the end, we as teachers need to do more to lead or guide our students and help them to develop their intellectual character, as well as their critical thinking skills and creativity.
This then leads to the next question, how as a teacher can we assess student learning? I really do not think that standard tests is the best method, especially most MCQ exams.Writing good tests is hard and it in many ways here too kids may not be that motivated to take them not because they do not know the stuff, but simply its boring or they do not care. On the other hand, many kids can learn to take a test, but that may still not be an accurate reflection that they know the material or can transfer that knowledge in new, yet similar circumstances. There seems to be a movement toward alternative and creative types of assessments and I think that this may be a great idea, although I am cautious becaise the goal is to assess not simply motivate or engage students.
Recently, in out physical sciences class my mentor gave kids the option to do an alternative assessment of their choice. they could mix and match a variety of projects/assignments they came up with that had different point values. The main criteria was to have it total 25 points and cover I think%75 of the material. A few students wrote and performed a RAP song about the elements and the periodic table. I thought it was a great deal of fun to hear and the students seemed to enjoy it, however I am still not convinced that the students really understand or know the material any more or better. I still would like to pursue this, but I do not think it can take the place or reports or projects or something that more clearly demonstrates learning. I guess I am still in the process of deciding what I think is best, but I do like trying creative approaches becaus eI really do want learning to be fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I also struggle with this. I am not sure how to determine if students are really learning something. It is hard to "see" the brain in action. Rap songs can be fun and stick in the minds of students so they can help for memorization, but I am not sure how much comprehension is involved. I would like to learn more about how to asses learning, because like the movie we watching about Harvard and MIT grads, you can be successful in passing a class without understanding the material.
Helena, in the spirit of the work of the scientists (and with your mentor's permission) it might be fun to try to get a read on the extent to which a "fun project" might impact the kids' understanding/retention/interest in the content. It might be interesting to even "pull back the curtain" and let them know what you're doing ("I want to see whether doing physci raps helps my students to learn better, and I need your help to do some scientific research on the question..."
Post a Comment