Monday, November 24, 2008

podcasting

Last week I did my first podcast and it was a great deal or fun and easier than I thought. I would really like to somehow find a way to have my students try and do a podcast as an assignment outside of class or as a project. I think that it may be an effective way to engage them and motivate them and a new experience that may help them learn better.

I am still not that comfortable with technology, but I do think there is a place for it in the classroom or at least in the school that I am student teaching in. It can be used as a privilege that they can earn if they do well or as an alternative assessment.It would compliment some of the more traditional methods of teaching. I would like to really try and incorporate some of that in my class. When I have spoken too them they seem excited about doing something out of the ordinary.

My daughter helped me and she had a really good time as well.It was a project that we could do together and is not that age dependent.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I agree that the Podcast was much easier and more fun than I expected. I think that in our setting at middle school, you should be able to choose a group of 3 or 4 students to do a Podcast for each unit. Most of them have internet access at home, so they would be able to share it with their parents, which is always a huge plus. I say bring it up to Mr. Pierce or wait until you are in charge next semester and then just do it!

Jeff Stanzler said...

That's great that you took the opportunity to test out podcasting, Helena, and that you felt that the trial was successful. Where did you see the value-added opportunity to have your students use the tool? I'd love to know more about what specifically you did, and what you learned from the trial.

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Helena
Congratulations on taking some risks and trying out these different technologies. I loved your podcast, and hearing your daughter.

I also agree with Jeff about finding the value-added opportunities OR the motivation opportunities. Sometimes the tool is just a good way to engage disengaged students. I often found that some of my lowest achieving students could come alive during creative projects such as podcasting.